Physical activity for seniors helps to strengthen the muscles, helping you walk better, and prevent diseases such as osteoporosis, depression and diabetes.
The benefits of physical activity also include:
- Prevents and helps in the combat of diseases such as hypertension, stroke, varicose veins, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, anxiety, depression, problems in the heart and lungs;
- Improves muscle strength, decreasing the risk of falls and facilitates the movements of the arms, legs and trunk;
- Reduces the consumption of remedies because it improves the sense of well-being, reducing pain;
- Increases appetite;
- Improves general fitness;
- Decreases the social isolation because it increases the proximity with other people;
- Self-esteem, confidence and acceptance of the image that the elderly have of yourself, bringing more general well-being.
Physical activity for the elderly should be made on a regular basis, making part of their day to day activities, but always under the prescription of the doctor geriatra and guided by a physical therapist appropriately qualified. See 5 exercises for seniors to do at home.
The stretching of the muscles and joints is also very suitable to make at home, improving blood circulation, mobility and well-being physical and emotional.
How to start a physical activity for the elderly
Usually, in an initial phase, it is recommended low-impact activities such as hiking, ballroom dancing and water aerobics, avoiding always the risk of injury in the muscles, and overload of the joints.
Before you start any type of physical activity, the elderly should be guided by a physical educator or physical therapist to the definition of an exercise program; individualized, as shown in the following:
- Heating period: 10 minutes through light treks, up and down stairs, swimming, cycling or even daily activities such as housework, gardening and dance;
- Breathing exercises: should be performed throughout the program, between one year and another;
- Stretching: to improve the movements of the arms, legs and trunk;
- Exercises to improve balance and coordination: to walk in the tip of the toes and heels, to walk forward, backward, and side to side, overcome obstacles on the floor;
- Train agility and go faster;
- Exercises to improve the strength of muscles, use dumbbells and shin guards;
- Relaxation: period back to the quiet and rest.
It is important to note that all physical activity should be adapted to the elderly and should be carried out preferably in a group or in pairs, to be more motivating, thus avoiding the abandonment of the activity.
Physical activity for elderly hypertensive patients
Physical activity for elderly hypertensive patients helps improve circulation, increases the volume of blood from the body and improves overall fitness.
Are listed activities such as walking and water aerobics, always under the guidance of a cardiologist and accompanied by a Professional physical activity, in order to control any change in the values of blood pressure.
Physical activity for the elderly obese
Physical activity for the elderly, the obese will bring numerous benefits such as a decrease in the weight and amount of fats, increase muscles and improves stamina. See also what the elderly should eat to lose weight.
In elderly people with difficulties due to pain in the muscles and joints, may indicate an early stage, hiking and exercises in the water. Already elderly, as few limitations, can be recommended activities in the gym such as aerobics classes, weight training, cycling, or even running on a treadmill.
Because the elderly should practice Tai chi chuan
The Thai Chi Chuan is also indicated for the elderly because it helps to strengthen the muscular system, work the body balance and improving the cognitive of the brain, due to the concentration required during the lessons.
In addition, it helps prevent falls in the elderly, avoiding its complications, such as fractures and how the classes are in a group helps to combat the loneliness, useful to prevent depression in this age group.
There is no contraindication to this practice. Only individuals that have any heart disease is that they should ponder the situation with their doctors before beginning the classes.