Caves hold a great fascination with humans and are often popular attractions for tourists. A cave is a natural cavity created by geological processes in a rock formation that is large enough that people can enter it. Primary caves such as lava caves arise at the same time as the surrounding rock, secondary caves arise later in the rock, among other things through erosion. What are the 10 largest caves in the world?
Mammoths in the underwater world
The longest known cave in the world is the Mammoth Cave in the national park of the same name in Kentucky in the USA. It is an impressive 627 kilometers long and was first explored by the slave Steven Bishop in 1840, before it was professionally measured in 1908. The cave system of the mammoth cave is partially traversed by the river Styx, named after the river of the underworld in Greek mythology.
The longest underwater cave system is the “Sistema Sac Actun” in Mexico on the Yucatán Peninsula, which has a total length of 311 kilometers. “Sac Actun” – in the Mayan language “white cave” – has turquoise-blue water in a system of limestone with stalactites and can be explored by ambitious divers.
Optimistic caves made of plaster of paris
The longest underwater gypsum cave in the world, the Ordinskaya, is located in the Russian region of Perm, near the Kungur River. The mineral-rich rock filters the ice-cold water of the cave and the white gypsum makes the crystal-clear water shine in an unreally beautiful blue. Over 4000 meters of cave system have been discovered by cave divers so far.
At 236 kilometers, the “Optymistytschna Petschera”, the “Optimist Cave”, located in western Ukraine, is the third longest cave in the world, the longest gypsum cave in the world and the longest cave in Europe, making it one of the 10 largest caves in the world. Various cavities with gypsum crystals can be found in a rock layer made up of marine deposits. The cave, discovered in 1965, has not yet been opened up for tourism.
Fire and Ice
The longest and deepest lava cave in the world, the “Kazumura Cave” in Hawaii, also called “Kilauea Caverns of Fire”, is of volcanic origin. At the foot of the Kilauea volcano, the cave leads 65 kilometers long and 1101 meters deep into the lava rock that was formed only 300 to 500 years ago. There are more than 100 entrances and the option to book a guided tour of parts of the cave.
The largest ice cave in the world is located in Austria. The “Eisriesenwelt” in Werfen in the Salzburger Land is impressive with a total length of 42 kilometers and is a popular excursion destination. Fantastic ice formations are created by freezing meltwater and impress the visitors.
Fascinating ups and downs
Speleologists have to abseil 2191 meters in the Voronya Cave in Georgia to get to the bottom of the deepest cave in the world. The high alpine limestone cave near the Black Sea is extremely steep in large parts and also houses special invertebrates at a depth of 2 kilometers. The deepest direct shaft in a cave on earth is Vrtoglavica Cave in Slovenia. A shaft cave leads straight down for 603 meters.
In a remote part of Vietnam in the middle of the jungle, the 250 meter high and 150 meter wide “Hang Son Doong” cave, which translates as mountain river cave, was discovered by British researchers in 2009. So far a total length of 56 kilometers has been explored, the largest cave space would offer space for a skyscraper or a jet plane. The Sawarak Chamber in the Good Luck Cave on the Malaysian island of Borneo also has enormous dimensions with a height of around 70 meters, a length of 700 meters and a width of 400 meters. Both caves are clearly among the 10 largest caves in the world.
- Africa Demographic Structure
- Asia Between Continuity and Change
- Beach Life and Culture in Turkey
- Bolivia As a Tourist Country
- Cambodia Travel Plan
- Costa Rica Travel Package
- Curacao Holiday Island for Sun Worshipers and Divers
- Driving in Finland
- Europe Geography
- Namibia Travel Package
- North and Central America Political Overview
- Oceania Geography
- The Republic of Northern Macedonia
- Types of Travel in Africa
- Germany After the Catastrophe January 18, 2022 - The Hitlerite regime which had promised the German people a millennial Reich, plunged that people into the most frightening catastrophe in its history; catastrophe which, in its proportions, is not… Read more
- Spain History – The New Kingdom of Spain Part 2 January 11, 2022 - The terrorist activity of ETA had provoked a progressive distancing of Basque public opinion from the reasons of the independence movement, a distancing that had been translated into harsh condemnation… Read more
- Spain History – The New Kingdom of Spain January 4, 2022 - The transition to democracy was mainly the work of the government chaired by A. Suárez González (July 1976-Jan. 1981), whose UCD (Unión de centro democrático, coalition of moderate parties) won… Read more
- Wellington, New Zealand December 28, 2021 - Wellington is a city in New Zealand that surprises travelers with many special features: Not only does the metropolis in the south of the North Island have a lot of… Read more
- Attractions in Hue, Vietnam December 21, 2021 - Beautiful landscapes, fascinating historical monuments and legendary stories: this is Hue. The city of 350,000 in central Vietnam is one of the most popular destinations for Vietnam vacationers. No wonder:… Read more
- Sightseeing in Mozambique December 14, 2021 - South African Mozambique is one of the countries that has not yet been fully developed for tourism... despite the many beautiful beaches on the Indian Ocean, several beautiful offshore islands… Read more
- Cairngorms National Park in Scotland December 7, 2021 - At 3800 square kilometers, the Cairngorms National Park, founded in 2003, is the largest of the 15 British national parks. The Caingorms mountain range in the Grampian Mountains was formed… Read more
- Middelburg, Haarlem and Zutphen, Netherlands November 30, 2021 - Middelburg 100 monuments in the capital of Zeeland - Netherlands Middelburg is a Dutch municipality and is located on the Walcheren peninsula. It is the capital of the province of… Read more
- Russia State Overview November 23, 2021 - Geography The Russian Federation stretches across most of the northern supercontinent Eurasia so there is a great variety of landscapes and climates. Most of the landscape consists of huge plains,… Read more
- Guatemala Entry Requirements November 16, 2021 - Passport: is a general requirement for traveling to Guatemala. The passport must be valid when entering Guatemala. A return or onward ticket is required for entry by plane. A temporary… Read more