Caves hold a great fascination with humans and are often popular attractions for tourists. A cave is a natural cavity created by geological processes in a rock formation that is large enough that people can enter it. Primary caves such as lava caves arise at the same time as the surrounding rock, secondary caves arise later in the rock, among other things through erosion. What are the 10 largest caves in the world?
Mammoths in the underwater world
The longest known cave in the world is the Mammoth Cave in the national park of the same name in Kentucky in the USA. It is an impressive 627 kilometers long and was first explored by the slave Steven Bishop in 1840, before it was professionally measured in 1908. The cave system of the mammoth cave is partially traversed by the river Styx, named after the river of the underworld in Greek mythology.
The longest underwater cave system is the “Sistema Sac Actun” in Mexico on the Yucatán Peninsula, which has a total length of 311 kilometers. “Sac Actun” – in the Mayan language “white cave” – has turquoise-blue water in a system of limestone with stalactites and can be explored by ambitious divers.
Optimistic caves made of plaster of paris
The longest underwater gypsum cave in the world, the Ordinskaya, is located in the Russian region of Perm, near the Kungur River. The mineral-rich rock filters the ice-cold water of the cave and the white gypsum makes the crystal-clear water shine in an unreally beautiful blue. Over 4000 meters of cave system have been discovered by cave divers so far.
At 236 kilometers, the “Optymistytschna Petschera”, the “Optimist Cave”, located in western Ukraine, is the third longest cave in the world, the longest gypsum cave in the world and the longest cave in Europe, making it one of the 10 largest caves in the world. Various cavities with gypsum crystals can be found in a rock layer made up of marine deposits. The cave, discovered in 1965, has not yet been opened up for tourism.
Fire and Ice
The longest and deepest lava cave in the world, the “Kazumura Cave” in Hawaii, also called “Kilauea Caverns of Fire”, is of volcanic origin. At the foot of the Kilauea volcano, the cave leads 65 kilometers long and 1101 meters deep into the lava rock that was formed only 300 to 500 years ago. There are more than 100 entrances and the option to book a guided tour of parts of the cave.
The largest ice cave in the world is located in Austria. The “Eisriesenwelt” in Werfen in the Salzburger Land is impressive with a total length of 42 kilometers and is a popular excursion destination. Fantastic ice formations are created by freezing meltwater and impress the visitors.
Fascinating ups and downs
Speleologists have to abseil 2191 meters in the Voronya Cave in Georgia to get to the bottom of the deepest cave in the world. The high alpine limestone cave near the Black Sea is extremely steep in large parts and also houses special invertebrates at a depth of 2 kilometers. The deepest direct shaft in a cave on earth is Vrtoglavica Cave in Slovenia. A shaft cave leads straight down for 603 meters.
In a remote part of Vietnam in the middle of the jungle, the 250 meter high and 150 meter wide “Hang Son Doong” cave, which translates as mountain river cave, was discovered by British researchers in 2009. So far a total length of 56 kilometers has been explored, the largest cave space would offer space for a skyscraper or a jet plane. The Sawarak Chamber in the Good Luck Cave on the Malaysian island of Borneo also has enormous dimensions with a height of around 70 meters, a length of 700 meters and a width of 400 meters. Both caves are clearly among the 10 largest caves in the world.
- Africa Demographic Structure
- Asia Between Continuity and Change
- Beach Life and Culture in Turkey
- Bolivia As a Tourist Country
- Cambodia Travel Plan
- Costa Rica Travel Package
- Curacao Holiday Island for Sun Worshipers and Divers
- Driving in Finland
- Europe Geography
- Namibia Travel Package
- North and Central America Political Overview
- Oceania Geography
- The Republic of Northern Macedonia
- Types of Travel in Africa
- Stone Town and Tanganyika, Tanzania November 22, 2022 - Stone Town is the capital of the island of Zanzibar. It was built in the 19th century, but has been known since the 8th century. Then it was a port… Read more
- Attractions of Tel Aviv, Israel November 15, 2022 - Since 1948, Israel and therefore the city of Tel Aviv has been declared independent. From that period, the city started to develop into what we can now call a metropolis.… Read more
- Denali National Park in Alaska August 16, 2022 - At Mount McKinley Denali National Park is located in the US state of Alaska. The size of the national park is 24,585 km². The tallest mountain in North America, Mount… Read more
- Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas August 9, 2022 - Diamond and gem lovers will see a gleam in their eyes at Crater of Diamonds State Park. You can search for diamonds in an old volcanic crater on an approximately… Read more
- Burkina Faso Fast Facts August 2, 2022 - Burkina Faso is a landlocked country in West Africa. The country is one of the poorest countries in the world. It borders Mali to the east, Ivory Coast to the… Read more
- Bangladesh Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - Bangladesh is located in South Asia and borders both Myanmar and India. The very poor country only became independent in 1971 as a result of the Bangladesh war. The country's… Read more
- Finland Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - Finland is located in northern Europe, bordering Norway, Russia and Sweden. Friends of the white sport get their money's worth in the beautiful country, as do northern light hunters and… Read more
- Haiti Fast Facts July 12, 2022 - Haiti is located on the island of Hispaniola, along with neighboring Dominican Republic. The state, which is one of the poorest countries in the world, is not easy to travel… Read more
- Miami – Sun-kissed City in Florida July 5, 2022 - Home of the Cuban exiles According to liuxers, the city of Miami is located on the southern east coast of the US state of Florida. Miami was once known worldwide… Read more
- Fort Frederica National Monument – Georgia June 28, 2022 - Strategic location on the Altamaha River According to Acronymmonster, the manageable -sized Fort Frederica is located in southern Georgia, near the Florida border. The Ford Frederica was built at the… Read more