Caves hold a great fascination with humans and are often popular attractions for tourists. A cave is a natural cavity created by geological processes in a rock formation that is large enough that people can enter it. Primary caves such as lava caves arise at the same time as the surrounding rock, secondary caves arise later in the rock, among other things through erosion. What are the 10 largest caves in the world?
Mammoths in the underwater world
The longest known cave in the world is the Mammoth Cave in the national park of the same name in Kentucky in the USA. It is an impressive 627 kilometers long and was first explored by the slave Steven Bishop in 1840, before it was professionally measured in 1908. The cave system of the mammoth cave is partially traversed by the river Styx, named after the river of the underworld in Greek mythology.
The longest underwater cave system is the “Sistema Sac Actun” in Mexico on the Yucatán Peninsula, which has a total length of 311 kilometers. “Sac Actun” – in the Mayan language “white cave” – has turquoise-blue water in a system of limestone with stalactites and can be explored by ambitious divers.
Optimistic caves made of plaster of paris
The longest underwater gypsum cave in the world, the Ordinskaya, is located in the Russian region of Perm, near the Kungur River. The mineral-rich rock filters the ice-cold water of the cave and the white gypsum makes the crystal-clear water shine in an unreally beautiful blue. Over 4000 meters of cave system have been discovered by cave divers so far.
At 236 kilometers, the “Optymistytschna Petschera”, the “Optimist Cave”, located in western Ukraine, is the third longest cave in the world, the longest gypsum cave in the world and the longest cave in Europe, making it one of the 10 largest caves in the world. Various cavities with gypsum crystals can be found in a rock layer made up of marine deposits. The cave, discovered in 1965, has not yet been opened up for tourism.
Fire and Ice
The longest and deepest lava cave in the world, the “Kazumura Cave” in Hawaii, also called “Kilauea Caverns of Fire”, is of volcanic origin. At the foot of the Kilauea volcano, the cave leads 65 kilometers long and 1101 meters deep into the lava rock that was formed only 300 to 500 years ago. There are more than 100 entrances and the option to book a guided tour of parts of the cave.
The largest ice cave in the world is located in Austria. The “Eisriesenwelt” in Werfen in the Salzburger Land is impressive with a total length of 42 kilometers and is a popular excursion destination. Fantastic ice formations are created by freezing meltwater and impress the visitors.
Fascinating ups and downs
Speleologists have to abseil 2191 meters in the Voronya Cave in Georgia to get to the bottom of the deepest cave in the world. The high alpine limestone cave near the Black Sea is extremely steep in large parts and also houses special invertebrates at a depth of 2 kilometers. The deepest direct shaft in a cave on earth is Vrtoglavica Cave in Slovenia. A shaft cave leads straight down for 603 meters.
In a remote part of Vietnam in the middle of the jungle, the 250 meter high and 150 meter wide “Hang Son Doong” cave, which translates as mountain river cave, was discovered by British researchers in 2009. So far a total length of 56 kilometers has been explored, the largest cave space would offer space for a skyscraper or a jet plane. The Sawarak Chamber in the Good Luck Cave on the Malaysian island of Borneo also has enormous dimensions with a height of around 70 meters, a length of 700 meters and a width of 400 meters. Both caves are clearly among the 10 largest caves in the world.
50 U.S. State
- Africa Demographic Structure
- Asia Between Continuity and Change
- Beach Life and Culture in Turkey
- Bolivia As a Tourist Country
- Cambodia Travel Plan
- Costa Rica Travel Package
- Curacao Holiday Island for Sun Worshipers and Divers
- Driving in Finland
- Europe Geography
- Namibia Travel Package
- North and Central America Political Overview
- Oceania Geography
- The Republic of Northern Macedonia
- Types of Travel in Africa
- University of Colorado Boulder November 28, 2023 - The University of Colorado Boulder, located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, is a flagship institution of the University of Colorado system. Established in 1876, the same year as… Read more
- Pros and Cons of Dropshipping November 21, 2023 - Dropshipping is a retail fulfillment method where a store doesn't keep the products it sells in stock. Instead, when a store sells a product, it purchases the item from a… Read more
- Humboldt, Tennessee November 14, 2023 - Humboldt, Tennessee is a city located in Gibson County, in the western part of the state. The city is situated in the heart of the fertile West Tennessee region, known… Read more
- Money, Mississippi November 7, 2023 - Located in Leflore County, Mississippi, Money is a small town with a fascinating geography that reflects the rich history and culture of the region. Nestled in the heart of the… Read more
- Weatogue, Connecticut October 31, 2023 - Weatogue, Connecticut is a charming suburban community located in the town of Simsbury. Nestled in the Farmington Valley region of Hartford County, Weatogue offers a picturesque landscape with its diverse… Read more
- Warsaw, Poland Geography October 23, 2023 - Warsaw, the capital and largest city of Poland, is located in the heart of the country and boasts a diverse geography that has been influenced by its historical, cultural, and… Read more
- Woodlyn, Pennsylvania October 10, 2023 - Woodlyn is a small community located in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. Situated in the northeastern part of the state, Woodlyn encompasses an area of approximately 0.4 square… Read more
- Climate in Niamey, Niger October 3, 2023 - Niamey, the capital and largest city of Niger, is situated in the southwestern part of the country, along the banks of the Niger River. The city's climate is classified as… Read more
- Tremonton, Utah September 28, 2023 - According to wholevehicles, Tremonton is a city located in Box Elder County, Utah, United States. Situated in the western part of the state, Tremonton lies in the northern region known… Read more
- Crown City, Ohio September 27, 2023 - According to wholevehicles, Crown City is a small village located in Gallia County, Ohio. Situated in the southeastern part of the state, it is nestled along the banks of the… Read more